Strolling Thunder: Making Babies a National Priority
We’ve been putting babies and their parents in the room where it happens since 2017.
A family from Maine who fell behind on bills due to a lack of paid leave after a difficult birth. A toddler in Louisiana on the brink of being expelled from child care due to behavior issues and long waiting lists for support. A family from Kentucky who pays nearly half of their income for child care. A mother from Massachusetts who struggles to raise her child on a teacher’s salary.
Each year, Strolling Thunder™ sponsors a family from every state and the District of Columbia to come to Capitol Hill to share their stories with policymakers and become advocates for change. Travel expenses, hotel, and training are on us! Mark your calendar for April 30, 2024!
With these stories, our goal is to push Congress to:
- Increase access to high-quality, affordable child care;
- Create a national paid family and medical leave program;
- Invest in Early Head Start so that more families living in poverty can benefit from the program’s comprehensive services;
- Provide infant and early childhood mental health services;
- Transform the child welfare system; and
- Make the expanded Child Tax Credit permanent to increase families’ economic security.
Become a Strolling Thunder Family
Highlights From Strolling Thunder 2023
It Takes a Village
Can’t come to DC? Don’t meet the requirements to be a 2024 Strolling Thunder family? You can still be an advocate! Join our action network to receive news and alerts.
Learn more about ZERO TO THREE’s Policy Center.